Re: "Community-oriented" distros

on Tue, Nov 04, 2003 at 06:34:22PM -0500, Joel Konkle-Parker (jjk3@msstate.edu) wrote:
> With the recent launch of Red Hat's Fedora, it seems to me that we now
> have three major options for people looking for a community-based Linux
> distribution for x86: Debian, Gentoo, and Fedora.
>
> I'm currently using Woody, mostly because of the community aspect (just
> "feels" right to me) and the package stability system. I'm a home user
> with a new Dell laptop and no real reason to have an enterprise-quality
> product except my own peace of mind.
>
> So my questions:
>
> 1. Are there other community-based distributions out there that would be
> worth a look?

Slack.  And going beyond GNU/Linux, the *BSDs.

> 2. Which would be best for my needs? Are there other philosophical
> differences between them that I should know about (besides Gentoo's
> source-only approach)?

You're best advised to look at the distros' respective source docs.

In Debian's case, there's the Social Contract which lays out the
community committment:

    http://www.debian.org/social_contract

Debian also has the DFSG and Debian Policy, which materially affect what
the distribution can include, and how it will manage your system.

Gentoo has a similar social contract document, apparently modeled in
part on Debian's:

    http://www.gentoo.org/main/en/contract.xmlo

Best I can tell, Fedora doesn't.  Closest I see is the Fedora Users FAQ:

    http://www.fedora.us/wiki/FedoraUsersFAQ

> Thanks for the opinions, guys.

I'd suggest you focus more on facts than opinions.

But draw your own conclusions.

Peace.

    I myself am often surprised at life's little quirks.
    - Princess Bride