RE: Backup Package names currently installed

On Tue, 2003-11-04 at 13:08, Jochen Daum wrote:
> Hi!
>
> > on Wed, Oct 29, 2003 at 12:26:46PM +1300, Jochen Daum
> > (jochen.daum@cans.co.nz) wrote:
> > > Hi!
> > >
> > > I have a debian woody machine which I installed via FTP.
> > >
> > > I would like to dump the names of all installed packages
> > into a file,
> > > so that I can install them automatically with dpkg.
> > >
> > > I tried
> > >
> > > dpkg --get-selections
> > >
> > > but the file doesn't contain any package versions? Can I
> > include that
> > > as well?
> >
> > While you can, it doesn't do you much good.
> >
> > APT installs the latest available version of a package
> > (subject to your
> > preferred release and pinning options).
>
> Well, I run unstable at home, and had to fix some stuff every time I
> installed it (3 times). I know that I can expect this from unstable,
> buts thats why I'm looking for some tricks.

A reeeeealy handy utility:

$ apt-cache show apt-show-versions
Package: apt-show-versions
Section: admin
Installed-Size: 22
Maintainer: Christoph Martin <christoph.martin@uni-mainz.de>
Architecture: all
Version: 0.04
Depends: perl | perl-5.005 | perl-5.004, apt
Filename: pool/main/a/apt-show-versions/apt-show-versions_0.04_all.deb
Size: 10682
MD5sum: 3bdcad52f9796d57b03cd8674e00f575
 apt-show-versions parses the dpkg status file and the APT lists for
 the installed and available package versions and distribution and
 shows upgrade options within the specific distribution of the selected
 package.
 .
 This is really useful if you have a mixed stable/testing environment
 and want to list all packages which are from testing and can be
 upgraded in testing.

My system's packages list is attached, as generated by
  $ apt-show-versions | sort| gzip > package.versions.txt.gz

Ron Johnson, Jr. ron.l.johnson@cox.net
Jefferson, LA USA

PETA - People Eating Tasty Animals