Re: Stable Debian == obsolete??

On Tue, 4 Nov 2003 21:01:49 +1100
Rob Weir <rweir@ertius.org> wrote:

RW> > When I got to the boot loader options, I was surprised to find
RW> > only lilo.
RW>
RW> You need a default bootloader during the install.  lilo works.  If
RW> you don't like it, change it after the install.
RW>
RW> > I was installing to /dev/hda9, guess in wich Gb is that!!
[...]
RW> Do you mean "grub"?  What benefits does grub have over lilo for the
RW> initial boot of Debian?

Lilo can't boot from any place after the 2Gb, at least it couldn't the last time I used it, about a year and a half ago.  I don't know if they fixed it by now (don't think so), but most surely Woody's lilo can't do it.

RW> > Well, ok, the release is from december past year, and the
RW> > installer should be even older,
RW>
RW> December?  July 19, 2002.

Nope, 30r1 is from december.  But yeah, most of Woody is older than that.

RW> > , but hey, I have comed to *luuuuuv* configuring X at
RW> > hand, overclocking my monitor resolution.
RW>
RW> Configure X by hand?  Why?  The Debian X packages have a very
RW> sophisticated configuration system which walks you through the
RW> configuration.  With a little googling, you'll even find that
RW> installing"hotplug", "mdetect" and "read-edid" before X will enable
RW> it to auto-detect most everything for you anyway.

As I said, I like to fiddle with refreshes to get 1152 instead of 1024 on my cheap 15".

RW> It seems to me like you've come at this all wrong.  Instead of
RW> ranting about how "Debian Stable is too old!", you should install
RW> it, then ask useful, direct questions like "how do I get my poorly
RW> documented geforce4 card to work under woody" or "how do I get a
RW> newer version of$FOO" or such.

I did useful questions, indeed.  But not about how to fix woody, couse I know how to do that already: upgrading almost everything I use to Sarge or Sid. The "rant" was to show that Woody not works with a not so fresh box.

RW> > I have lurked the release information, and have not seen any bug
RW> > that scares me, but any warnings regarding the Athlon XP
RW> > Thoroughbred, Geforce 4 Ti
RW>
RW> Ah, this is at least part of your X problem, since the "nv" driver
RW> that comes with X4.1 and earlier does not support it.  You can use
RW> the "vesa" driver, go get X4.2 or 4.3 from the site  I have earlier,
RW> or use the evil-binary-only-non-free nvidia driver.

LOL, do you actually read the post while already replying to it??  Anyway, I was asking for guidance on Sarge there ;-)