Re: Crash in fork.c on everything = install hosed

Malcolm Box wrote:

OK, that looks like it might fix things. But can anyone tell me how to get the new version onto my machine given that both dpkg & apt-get don't work at the moment? Is there some way to manually unpack the files from the .deb into the right places?

Malcolm

Last time I broke libc, I fixed it by booting off my rescue (knoppix) cd.
Mounted all the filesystems under /mnt/debian. It looked like

/mnt/debian
/mnt/debian/boot
/mnt/debian/usr
/mnt/debian/var

etc...

I used knoppix to download the libc6 deb and copied it to the root filesystem (/mnt/debian) of the hosed installation.

I then cd'd into /mnt/debian and did the following:
ar x PACKAGE.deb
That left 2 files, data.tar.gz and control.tar.gz. I untared data.tar.gz and rebooted.

It worked, I was fine. Just to be sure, I did an apt-get --reinstall install libc6 to make sure everything was updated (package info, control scripts, etc).

HTH