gdm won't run after upgrade

I am running testing.

I just ran apt-get update, then apt-get dist-upgrade.  The result was to
remove 60 packages - mainly kdm packages - install 8 new packages
including kdelibs-data and upgrade 128 packages.

After the upgrade kdm wont run so I switched to gdm as the default
display manager.  gdm starts, allows me to log in and then aborts with
the message:

"Failed to activate: 'OFIID:GNOME_Settings:Daemon'"

apt-get remove kdm reports kdm is not installed.

apt-get remove gdm followed by apt-get -f install gdm does not correct
the problem.

I would be quite happy with gdm as I switched to the icewm-gnome display
manager some time ago.  The kde display manage had far too many bells
and whistles I never use and I always avoided logging on as root though
this meant I could not use localhost:631 to configure cups.

Can anyone help with this problem?