Re: Microsoft good press over Longhorn

On Sun, 02 Nov 2003 at 10:33 GMT, Paul Johnson penned:

>> > I've heard that one of the original justifications for the GNU
>> > software project was to enable software professionals to have
>> > something to use and hold as they moved from one employer to
>> > another, something that was not stolen.
>>
>> Not sure what you mean by "stolen" here?
>
> You don't own the license, the company does.

Ah.

>> Even our intranet is IE-specific.
>
> I would encourage them to make it W3C specific instead if at all
> possible.  Just out of general principal.  If they don't treat the
> employees to a universal environment, what hope do the customers have?

I do encourage.  But I only have so much energy, and when this company
has just shelled out some unfathomable amount of money for a piece of
crap, they are loathe to change.  Also, as far as I can tell, there's a
strict division between the responsibilities of the developers vs. the
admins.  Not that that's all bad; there's an amazing variety of job
descriptions here, and unless I made it my job to know all of the
different tools being used by these different people, I could easily
make a very short-sighted decision.

Not sure what you mean about treating employees/customers to a universal
environment.  They do expect a universal environment -- windows 2000.

--
monique
PLEASE don't CC me.  Please.  Pretty please with sugar on top.