package purging and app configuration

I installed a dict front end (ding) and somehow inadvertently
configured it for "" as background color. I can't figure out in the
startup script how to correct that, and so decided simply to reinstall
ding.

I ran: aptitude purge ding, and then did a new installation. However,
the script error remains, suggesting that purge did not remove
configuration files.

How should I have gone about removing an application so that its
original configuration files are deleted?

Haines Brown