Re: [ot] Linux gender in French

Le Dimanche 2 Novembre 2003 04:55, Bijan Soleymani a déclamé :
> On Sat, Nov 01, 2003 at 09:01:38PM -0600, John Hasler wrote:
> > What is the gender of Unix?
> Also masculine I believe.

 Yep.

> I think Debian is feminine though.
> Un Unix proprietaire.
> Une Debian Sid.
> La Debian, la distribution la plus libre.

 Right. I've always said "une Debian" (feminine), like "une Redhat", "une
Suse", "une Mandrake", because it is supposed to be a distribution
(feminine).

> I think people might pronounce Debian as though it was written as
> Debiane though.

 ...as written as Déb-iane to be correct (with the last e not pronounced,
like most French words) ; this pronunciation comes from English and does
not match fully with regular French rules.

--
Christophe Courtois - Ostwald, Alsace, France
http://www.courtois.cc/ - Clé PGP : 0F33E837