Re: [ot] Linux gender in French

On Sat, Nov 01, 2003 at 07:42:03PM -0700, Wesley J Landaker wrote:
> > (I have a theory, but I don't want to influence what you say).
>
> But, now I'm curious... what is your theory?

Funny timing, I just said it in my previous email a couple of minutes
ago.  My (rather facile) theory is that it's freudian.

My guess:
Round things seem feminine, angular things seem masculine.
Things that jut out (gas nozzle) seem masculine; things that recede (gas
tank) seem feminine (okay, that's TOO facile).
Things that receive actions seem feminine (button); things that cause
action (lever) seem masculine.

I'm just guessing :-)