Re: How to test a hard disk?

On Sat, 1 Nov 2003, Mihalis I. Tsoukalos wrote:
..
> I have an old hard disk that I want to check.
> What can I do?
>
> Which log files should I check for error messages?
> (I only have ssh access to the machine, no console).
> I look at /var/log/messages and /var/log/syslog. Is it enough?

what are oyu checking for ???

if you want to know if the disk is dying, by the time you
notice its dying ... its too late ..
	- backup your data daily elsewhere

	- you should turn on S.M.A.R.T  ( in the bios ) and in the
	kernel so it can help watch your disk status for you

	- if the bios doesnt support SMART .. oh well...

if you want to know fi the disk is gonna work in your new system
	- unplug the disk and try it in the new system ...
	( simplest 2 minute test )

if you want to know if there are any new badblocks because
the disk/system is flaky
	- run badblocks

if you want to run faster w/ the drive ..
	- turn on dma mode, and fiddle with the various parameters
	" hdparm -d1 -c3 -u1 -m16 -X69" and combinations there of

	( know what each does and that any of those options
	( could erase your data on the disk

if you want to check your inodes..
	- jsut run e2fsck or its equivalent for your fs

if you want to know what your disk performance is like,
	you'd need something to compare against

	- run infinite kernel compiles on both disks ( one a time )
	or infinite
		"ls -laR /usr | md5sum" > /tmp/ls.md5.lst

lots of ways to "test the disk" ...
	including sticking a scope on the wires to the disk
	and looking at its waveforms :-)

	or get a disk diagnostics apps

c ya
alvin