Re: Apt-get: move from cdrom to online-sources

> You have to update the local cache with what is available on the remote
> site...
>
> apt-get update
>
> apt-get install sudo
>
> Should really do:
>
> apt-get update && apt-get upgrade
>
> First and foremost...!

OK, I removed the references to cdrom in my /etc/apt/sources.list, and
things run more cleanly. As a test I did # aptitude install sudo, and
it worked.

Now I turn to your recommendation and run: aptitude update && aptitude
upgrade, and while the update seems to go, I'm told there's nothing to
upgrade. I seriously doubt it:

  Reading Package Lists... 0%
  Reading Package Lists... 100%
  Reading Package Lists... Done
  Building Dependency Tree... 0%
  Building Dependency Tree... 0%
  Building Dependency Tree... 50%
  Building Dependency Tree... 50%
  Building Dependency Tree
  Reading extended state information... 0%
  Reading extended state information... 0%

  Reading extended state information... Done
  No packages will be installed, upgraded, or removed.
  0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
  Need to get 0B of archives. After unpacking 0B will be used.
  Do you want to continue? [Y/n/e/d/v/action/?]

Is it your impression that the first group of responses suggest that
apt-get update worked. But then why no packages needed to install. My
installation was from a fairly old cdrom set of debian
3.0r1. Shouldn't there be an enormous about of material to upgrade?

Haines