Re: NVIDIA driver install

On Sat, Nov 01, 2003 at 10:37:09AM -0600, Hoyt Bailey said
> The kernel header installation went very well. So that is AOK.
> The nvidia driver installation and I are having a problem commuciating.  The
> NVIDIA source was placed in /install/nforce. It is a .run file provided by
> nvidia and provides several drivers for all nvidia chipsets. So I cd
> /install/nforce
> sh ./*
> The program runs as it should.  It trys to download a complied pkg.  Cant
> because of DNS error.

This probably means you haven't setup your network connection yet on
your Debian system.

> Then attempts to compile its own package.  Cant find
> header files (not unexpected) and suggests that I tell it where the header
> files are via --kernel-path-to-header option. So I tryed:
> sh --kernel-path-to-header /install/header ./* .  (that didnt work). I tryed
> various ways but nothing. I wounder if the correct way is:
> sh ./* --kernel-path-to-header /install/header

You need to install the kernel headers for your *exact* running kernel.
If you're using a Debian kernel

apt-get install kernel-headers-$(uname -r)

should work, then point the installer script at
/usr/src/kernel-headers-$(uname -r).  If not, you'll need to point the
installer at the source tree you built your kernel from.  Incidentally,
the nvidia Debian packages I mentioned earlier explain this in their
README.Debian.

--
Rob Weir <rweir@ertius.org> | mlspam@ertius.org  |  Do I look like I want a CC?
Words of the day:                    NASA clones Albanian bemd JUWTF UOP Cheney