How to fix: glibc installed over libc6 broke system

I did a real dumb thing without thinking. I grabbed a .rpm of glibc 2.3.9 from SuSE, converted it to a .deb with alien and installed it. Of course I forgot that libc6 is the debian way of handeling this dependency (see locales; unstable) Yeah it was VERY late. Any way it broke the entire system. i tried to reboot got a kernel panic no init sequence. I also tried to chroot to the files system from another stable system disk in the same box. No go. ANT tips or ideas are aooreciated.
Thanks
John