I'm a newbie and would like help configuring x and kde

I'm a total newbie to debian and been using redhat for sometime now and it's
worked fine. I have tried knoppix for sometime too and love the package
management of debian and been thinking of switching but don't know exactly
how to get kde/gnome, X setup and working because redhat basically does
everything for you.
The debian setup seems to end without configuring X or setup of KDE or gnome.
I'd appreciate if someone could redirect me to a site, a newbie list or howto
get it setup on my dell inspiron so that I can have a gui.

Thanks for the time
Freeballer