dpkg --get-selections

I've got a machine with a freshly installed woody and wanted to clone
the installed software from a running system. I did as seemingly is
common lore:

> > On source machine:
> >
> > dpkg --get-selections >selections.txt
> >
> > On destination machine:
> >
> > (make sure sources.list is the same)
> > apt-get update
> > dpkg --set-selections <selections.txt
> > apt-get upgrade

And nothing happens. apt-get upgrade won't install a single package.
Doing another get-selections on the target machine indicates that the
package list was not changed by set-selections.

Did I miss something?

cu,
Schnobs