Re: 802.11(b|a|g) cards in Linux

On Sat, 2003-10-04 at 12:13, Ed Lawson wrote:
> Alex Malinovich wrote:
>

> >Thanks very much for the heads up about the madwifi project. I just went
> >out and picked up a Linksys 802.11A+G PCMCIA card for my laptop, and
> >after a bit of fiddling, got it up and running. It's working great!
> >

> Which Linksys card and what tinkering was needed.  TIA

(Replying on-list for the benefit of archive searches)

The Linksys card is the WPC55AG CardBus card. As far as tinkering is
concerned, very little actually.

Go to http://www.sf.net/projects/madwifi and get the module from CVS.
Once you have it locally, just do a "make; make install" and you're
pretty much done. Note that you might need to set KERNEL_PATH in
Makefile.inc to point to your kernel headers. Then just make sure you
have PCMCIA support built properly (ds yenta_socket and pcmcia_core
modules), load the appropriate modules, and you're all set to go. The
order of the module loads is kind of tricky though modconf usually takes
care of it ok. If you have any problems, load the modules in this order:

1) pcmcia_core
2) yenta_Socket
3) ds
4) ath_hal
5) wlan
6) ath_pci

Then you're all set to go. I immediately added a description for ath0 to
/etc/network/interfaces so that I could do a 'ifup ath0' instead of
having to use ifconfig manually.

Everything is relatively straightforward. My description actually
probably makes it sound more difficult than it is. :) The only thing I
haven't gotten working yet is the tools in the wireless-tools package so
that I can do some extra configuration and link monitoring. But the
connection is working great. (Actually, I'm sending this with no wires
connected to my laptop :) )

--
Alex Malinovich
pgp.net keyservers. Key ID: A6D24837