Sound help

Hi-

I installed Debian on a new Dell 4600.  I have been having problems with
sound.  I did a bunch of research on the web and posted a few
questions.  So far I have been able to get sound working by removing the
SB Live that Dell shipped which doesn't work under Linux. (special
version just for Dell supposedly!)  I enabled the on-board sound and
everything seems fine....except, after the machine is running for a
while, the sound just stops working!  I look in all of the logs that I
know about and can't seem to get any feedback on why this is happening.
I follow the Microsoft solution and reboot and my sound comes back for a
while.  If I leave XMMS running, I get to keep sound for a while longer
but after a while it goes out there too.

HELP!!!<grin>

Any feedback would be helpful....  By the way it is Debian Unstable and
I have arts turned off in KDE.

Kevin