Re: Mousey broken

Willem.Smit@SANLAM.CO.ZA wrote:
> I've just recently decided to move over to debian from redhat and i must
> say i'm very impressed with deb. Anyway, I started by installing woody (I'm
> still downloading the unstable images - gonna upgrade as soon as i got all
> 10),

I think you are confused.  Woody is currently the stable release.  Sid
is unstable.  Sarge is testing.

Also, do I understand you are downloading 10 ISO images?  You really
don't need to do that.  I assume you are on a network.  Just get CD #1
and install from that.  Downloading all of them is only needed if you
are going to carry them to a non-networked location to install.  The
desert island test.  You don't need them otherwise.

> everything went well normal hiccups aside except for one thing. I
> couldn't get my mouse to work ?!
> I've got a Microsoft optical USB mouse, but for the sake of linux i plugged
> it into the PS/2 port using a little USB->PS/2 port connector thingie.

One of the disadvantages of the installer which has been discussed
many times is the lack of automatic hardware detection.  Of course
this is also a strength too.  The experienced admin knows what
hardware is in the machine.

For USB mice using a tuned modular kernel I have experimentally
determined that I need these modules:

  modprobe hid
  modprobe mousedev

Assuming that works then add them permanently to the /etc/modules
file.  You will need to restart 'gpm' and/or X11 at this point to
know.

  echo hid >> /etc/modules
  echo mousedev >> /etc/modules

Alternatively the 'modconf' program can be used to install those.
Find them under kernel/drivers/usb and kernel/drivers/input.

Bob