Re: /home partition

On Fri, Sep 05, 2003 at 10:36:31AM -0400, alex wrote:

> I read the data in hda2 but there's nothing there except
> ./ and ../.  When I read the regular /home directory (under /), all
> the usual /home data is present.
>
> The partition (hda2) doen't appear in /etc/fstab --nothing there
> shows that there is a separate partition for /home.
>
> Is it necessary to edit /etc/fstab and manually enter a line
> for hda2 to show that it is the /home directory?  If so, what should
> this entry be?

Well if you do not have it there, you'll have to do it by hand, won't you?

/dev/hda2       /home               ext2    errors=remount-ro       0       1

before you would do this, do the following :

mount /dev/hda2 /mnt 	# mounting the right partiotion (succeeds if the fs
			# is alright on the partition.

cp -a /home/* /mnt	# copying data
rm -rf /home/* 		# use with care. this deletes the old home/ data
			# so that u do not waste space afterwards

umount /mnt		# umounting /daev/hda2

afterwards you can try a 'mount -a' command, then check if the partition
is mounted ok.

> What's a possible reason why the /home partition didn't 'take'
> during the installation process?

erm ... something got screwd up? :)

> Is it always necessary to do some
> post-installation editing (/etc/fstab ??)
> after a partition is
> selected for a /directory?

no.

HTH

charlie

--
Végh Károly -  System Engineer - UTA - TIS.SAS.BSS
Don't worry. Everything is getting nicely out of control.