Re: Duplicating installs across the network

on Mon, Sep 01, 2003 at 11:07:43PM +0200, Roberto Sanchez (rcsanchez97@yahoo.es) wrote:
> The migration of my lab is nearly complete.  The two servers are
> happily running Woody and so far I have one workstation running Sid,
> and I even managed to get VMWare installed and running properly on it.
> The last I need to do is get printing back up.  Once that is done I
> will be ready to install Sid to the other nine workstations.
>
> I know that there are a whole host of tools out there that for
> imagining/backup, but I have no experience with any of them.  Can
> anyone out there provide some pointers and insight?  What do you all
> use?  Does it work well?  I really hope that there is an easy way to
> this, as I do not want to have to reinstall 9 machines from scratch.

Personally, I'm fond of the Quick File Distribution Challenge posted to
Advogato some time back:

    http://www.advogato.org/article/555.html

Data replication across a (switched) network independent of nodes being
populated.

Peace.

   Microsoft Trustworthy Computing:
       http://www.aaxnet.com/editor/edit033.html