Re: lm-sensors

Menno <no-spam@xs4all.nl> writes:

> David Z Maze <dmaze@debian.org> writes:
>
>  > I believe unstable's make-kpkg has
>  > some support for building kernel modules given
>
> I use stable, and there is some kind of support in it. According to
> the docs in /usr/share/doc/kernel-package/README.modules is should do
> something like this:
>
> make-kpkg --revision number kernel_image
> make-kpkg modules_image

Note that the first step there builds a custom kernel from unpacked
source; see also
http://newbiedoc.sourceforge.net/system/kernel-pkg.html.  The second
step assumes the kernel tree from the first.

> I suspect that I have to chage something in the Makefile of the
> kernel-source to get this right. Should line 4 look like EXTRAVERSION
> = -1-686 ???

You want to add --append-to-version -1-686 to your make-kpkg flags.

>  > bug 189513 points at
>  > http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2002/debian-devel-200203/msg01794.html,
>  > suggests doing this:
>
> Yes, that helped me. In the end I did this, and I was able to installa
> the .deb file:

<*snip*>

>    ln -s kernel-source-2.4.18 linux
>    cd /usr/src/linux

(I don't generally recommend doing that: at some point you're going to
boot a different kernel, and the symlink is going to be wrong, and
you're going to compile something that sees the symlink and assumes
it's correct.)

>    fakeroot debian/rules kdist_image \
>       KSRC=/usr/src/kernel-headers-2.4.18-1-686 \
>       KVERS=2.4.18-1-686 KDREV=2.4.18-11

This ignores the kernel-source package you installed entirely,
incidentally.  But if it works, that's good to hear.

> Is this "standard procedure"? Do it again when kernel 2.4.18-14 is
> released?

Yes, sadly, and yes.

> Or, will this be easier in the next release of Debian (as in unstable?).

I'm making a somewhat vague effort to provide precompiled kernel
modules in unstable, but it's tricky keeping up with the current
kernels.  lm-sensors 2.8.0, with precompiled modules for kernel
2.4.21-4, is in the incoming queue waiting for ftpmaster approval, but
kernel 2.4.21-5 is current in unstable now.

	-- Abra Mitchell