Re: gnus & nnslashdot

"Keith O'Connell" <kroc@blueyonder.co.uk> writes:

>         When I first started using gnus a few years ago I managed to
>         get slashdot messages into gnus, but for me at that time it
>         was all a bit much to try and control, so I commented out the
>         slashdot specific lines in .gnus.

You'd probably have more luck asking about Gnus on the gnu.emacs.gnus
newsgroup than here...

>         After seeing a post elsewhere about Slashdot, I thought I
>         would give it another go so I reactivated the lines. I can
>         read the group headings, but when I try to retrieve the
>         messages I am told that I need newer version of nnslashdot.

Well, you have

which is the version of Gnus 5.8.8 bundled with FSF Emacs.  That's a
couple of years old at this point, you might try getting Gnus 5.10.2
(new mostly-stable release of Gnus) from http://www.gnus.org/dist/,
unpack the tar file, and set your load-path to point to that
directory.  In .emacs:

  (setq load-path
        (append (list
                 (expand-file-name "~/gnus-5.10.2/lisp"))
                load-path))

Then when you start Emacs you'll have the newer Gnus (use M-x
gnus-version to check).  For bonus points, you might also want to add
gnus/texi to the front of Info-directory-list to be able to read the
manual in Emacs Info.

	-- Abra Mitchell