Re: [OT] Remote Data Acquisition Programming

On Tue, 2 Sep 2003 13:20:33 +0300,
Alphonse Ogulla <ogulla@uonbi.ac.ke> wrote in message
<[🔎] 200309021320.33504.ogulla@uonbi.ac.ke>:

> Hi all,
> A client has installed a number of site controllers linked to fuel
> dispensers in distant retail sites to provide automated fuelling
> services. Communication between the site controllers and a central
> front end processor (FEP) is via telephone links with modems attached
> to RS232 interfaces at both ends.
>
> I have a strong desire to implement a new, open and robust front end
> processor using Debian GNU/Linux primarily for automated remote data
> acquisition or data download/transfer from the controller to the FEP.
>
> So far, I've managed to get hold of the non-standard protocol
> specifications for communication between the FEP and site controller.

..ok, your Debian FEP box is a linux box receiving "some kinda email",
from the site controller boxes around the country?  To produce bills?

..spec url?  (Unless it is under a NDA)

> The communication scheme is basically the exchange of well formatted
> message blocks eg. STX - Start of text, , EOT, ACK - Acknowledgment,
> NAK, ENQ  etc. with both binary and ASCII values.
>
> My dilemma is on how to send these messages from within a C program

..huh???  _Why_ "a C program"?

> and over a telephone link. For example, what interface should I look
> at in this case - the modem or serial port? I have read Serial port
> and Modem HOWTOs and also Serial programming for POSIX operating

..the ones over at http://tldp.org/HOWTO/HOWTO-INDEX/categories.html ?
http://tldp.org/HOWTO/HOWTO-INDEX/hardware.html#HWMODEMS
http://tldp.org/HOWTO/HOWTO-INDEX/hardware.html#HWSERIALPORT
No need to re-invent the wheel etc, you're at the very worst
just overlooking something obvious.  ;-)

> systems but still can't deduce the best way to apprroach the problem.
> Are there any APIs in Linux for programming the modem/serial port or
> is making low level i/o system calls the only way out?

..http://tldp.org/HOWTO/HOWTO-INDEX/networking.html#NETPROTOCOLS
Here, check out the "ppp" links.

..you're also supposed to have fun, helps get better ideas:
http://tldp.org/HOWTO/HOWTO-INDEX/misc.html#MISCSPECIAL  ;-)

  Scenarios always come in sets of three: