modem hiccup

When I first loaded Debian it had KDE 2.2.2. I uploaded "kppp" and got it
working. Due to having setup a dialup when Debian was installing, the "kppp"
cut out. In time I found out that it needed a "noauth" in the "pppd"
arguments or whatever. Once I set that I was able to connect as the "root" or
the "user".

Then I updated to KDE 3.1, went through the same routine with "kppp". Now I
can connect with "pon/poff", I can connect as "root" via "kppp" but I cannot
connect as a "user" via "kppp". When I enter the "noauth" argement for "pppd"
as a user this time, it tells me I have to have "root" privileges to use
"noauth". Can someone clarify this for me please.

Bill.