Re: Tips for serial terminal & file transfer?

on Tue, Sep 02, 2003 at 12:05:12AM +0100, Colin Watson (cjwatson@debian.org) wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 01, 2003 at 11:56:48PM +0100, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> > It would also be helpful if I could do the old trick of :
> >
> >     cat <<EOF>foo
> >     <file transfer>
> >     EOF
> >
> > ...but this method performs shell expansions on the content.
>
> If you quote EOF, it doesn't:
>
>   $ cat <<EOF
>   > $BASH_VERSION
>   > EOF
>   2.05b.0(1)-release
>   $ cat <<'EOF'
>   > $BASH_VERSION
>   > EOF
>   $BASH_VERSION
>   $ cat <<"EOF"
>   > $BASH_VERSION
>   > EOF
>   $BASH_VERSION

Ahhh....

That's _two_ things learned today.  Very sweet.

I still find the idea of bootstrapping a Debian system by way of
uuencoded ASCII file transfers to be horribly _wrong_, but I won't
complain about it.

Hrm.

Hrm.

Yes, I suppose I could tar some large archives and do bulk transfers
this way.

Thanks.

Peace.

   Hollings:  bought, paid for, but couldn't deliver the CBDTPA:
     http://www.politechbot.com/docs/cbdtpa/hollings.s2048.032102.html