Re: [Wildly OT] Locomotive transmissions [was: Re: OT: Debian Mailinglist server slow?]

On Mon, Sep 01, 2003 at 08:01:54PM +1200, cr wrote:

> > So was the 68000, and look what a POS chip PCs ended up using... it is
> > all too common for non-technical considerations to result in a
> > technically suboptimal solution becoming the most widely used method.
> > So we get VHS for VCRs, telescopic forks for motorcycle front
> > suspensions, Windoze, incandescent light bulbs...
>
> I *knew* you'd say that.   Or rather, I thought you'd say "So's Linux, and
> look at the crap everyone else uses".
>
> But the case isn't the same.    In the case of the PC (which uses the Intel
> chip), or MS Windows, there's a strong motive for everyine to use the same,
> whether for interoperability or just because, as a new user, they just use
> what's being marketed and have no idea whether there are better ways to do
> it.
>
> I assume the people who buy diesel locomotives aren't as ignorant as
> first-time computer buyers, and evaluate the technical merits in rather more
> depth, including comparing running costs.

Well, in the British case, at the start of dieselisation neither
manufacturers nor operators knew very much about diesel locos. The LMS
had a couple of experimental main line diesels, the Southern had
three, and that was basically it, apart from shunters. So the sensible
method was chosen of buying a small number of a large variety of
different designs for evaluation. They were all more or less
experimental, and they all more or less sucked, diesel-electrics and
-hydraulics.

Because of this lack of knowledge, and the fact that current motive
power shortages could most easily be met by continuing to build steam
locos, it was a long-term scheme. The original deadline for the
elimination of steam was 1985, I think.

Unfortunately, political pressures put paid to this plan. There was a
"rush to dieselise", which resulted in many of these experimental
orders being extended to full production runs regardless of their
suckitude. Suddenly BR had thousands of crap diesels all breaking down
all over the place, and maintenance and repair facilities were hard
put to it to cope. Trying to maintain diesels in steam sheds didn't
help either.

One pillar of the Western Region's hydraulic policy had been to copy
the system of unit replacement used by the DB on whose designs those
of the Western were based. A stock of overhauled power components
would be held and locomotives repaired by swapping out the old unit
and repairing it in background. The overloading of the maintenance
system by failures of crap designs, mostly diesel-electric, and
political difficulties connected with the manufacture of German
designs, meant that this system never got off the ground and
hydraulics had to be repaired in foreground on an ad-hoc basis, for
which neither the locomotives nor the depots were designed.

Nor was it always possible to ease the problems of running unreliable
locomotives by using them on freight trains. The Western's hydraulics
were mostly lightweight machines designed in the expectation that the
unbraked freight wagon was about to be abolished. When the programme
of braking freight wagons were abolished, even the heaviest
diesel-electrics had problems controlling unbraked freights, and the
lightweight hydraulics were at a serious disadvantage.

There were some half-decent diesel designs; those with some history.
The English Electric and Sulzer Type 4s, which were based on the LMS
and SR prototypes, were somewhat heavy and clumsy, but basically
competent. From these were derived the English Electric Type 3 and the
Brush/Sulzer Type 4, which were designed after the first mad rush and
drew on experience to produce extremely solid designs. The only
practical way to sort out the diesel chaos was to standardise on a few
good types and scrap the vast variety of crappy ones. Any numerically
small classes, anything vaguely non-standard, didn't stand a chance.
The Western's hydraulics merely suffered the same fate as many a
diesel-electric: development was replaced by scrapping. The later
builds - the D800 and D1000 classes - were quite well debugged by the
time this decision was taken; they were still scrapped as being
"non-standard", but managed to hang on for longer than the dodgier
early builds.

There were surprisingly few comparisons of costs between electric and
hydraulic transmissions; those that were done were generally made
after the policy decision to eliminate hydraulics had been taken, and
failed to provide a particularly level playing field, but from the
data one could conclude that neither type had a decisive advantage.

In the US, it seems to have been the case that locomotive design was
dominated by a few large manufacturers who knew how to do
diesel-electric and didn't want to know about anything different.
There were a few hydraulics imported from Germany, and they seem to
have worked pretty well, but the American manufacturers weren't
interested in the concept and the few hydraulics eventually suffered
the fate of any nonstandard item with greatly different maintenance
requirements from the rest of the fleet. Currently US manufacturers
seem to have a large share of the international market, so there's not
much scope for buying hydraulics anywhere these days.

> (Incidentally, I quite agree, the 68000 chip (or the Acorn RISC chip) are
> both way superior to Intel's ad-hoc box of complications.)

I haven't used the Acorn chip, but from their OS design on the BBC
Micro I can believe it'd be pretty good.

> > Certainly as far as technical developments are concerned. As for the
> > more general view, I'm both Western and Midland - coming from "border
> > territory"!
>
> Then we'll *never* agree, will we?   ;)

I dunno, Midland and Southern - we could run the Somerset & Dorset :-)

> Well, it seems to be an odd an unfortunate coincidence then, that all the
> reliable hydraulic systems happened to be hooked up to unreliable
> mechanicals.   ;)

Most diesel-electrics were just as unreliable - there were just more
of them. I reckon if the LMS / SR prototypes had been hydraulics,
that's what we'd have today...

> Underground trains don't run very fast, nor does their acceleration or
> deceleration last very long, nor do they have long gradients, so regen
> braking has less to offer.   On some lines though, they put the stations at
> the top of 'humps', to assist acceleration and deceleration.   But I don't
> think there'd be any risk of trains going too fast due to voltage -
> that's controlled by the driver.

My source for this was written by a driver - he reckons it can catch
you out occasionally. Regenerative braking on the Underground has an
extra advantage which doesn't apply to overground systems - it reduces
the amount of heat dissipated in the tunnels, which is a serious
problem.

> All new stock?   Including high speed trains?

Yep, we've got 125mph DMUs and 140mph EMUs now (though the EMUs are
currently limited to 125mph in service because the signalling and
trackwork aren't good enough for 140mph yet).

> > Given that the technology of the time made a rotary convertor a good
> > solution anyway, it was a brilliant idea. It'd work just as well on AC
> > or DC. It would still be quite a good solution, though I suspect a
> > dirty great bank of batteries that you could also go on/off shed with
> > would be preferred.
>
> Apparently it allowed them to make *brief* trips down unpowered sidings to
> pick up the odd wagon and presumably go on shed.

Useful. Coming off shed's a bit harder though...

> I imagine batteries would
> cost quite a bit more in maintenance and renewals, since lead-acids don't
> last very long.

They do have the advantage of commonality though; and industrial types
aren't necessarily "disposable" like car batteries - you can take them
to bits and put new plates in, recycle the old ones.

--
Pigeon

Be kind to pigeons