Re: [OT] Why does X need so much CPU power?

On Tuesday 02 September 2003 00:02, Neal Lippman wrote:
> I'm just wondering if anyone has any info on why X seems to need so much
> CPU power?

It's not X eating resources like mad, it's the way desktop environments
forcing it to do things that it was never meant to do.It was never meant to
display eye candy like KDE and Gnome feature. You'll find that it's doing
just fine with a "lighter" window manager that doesn't use transparencies and
tons of bitmaps for window decorations (FVWM2, OLWM, WindowMaker, etc.).
WindowMaker should run OK on a Pentium 266 measured on its performance on my
150MHz laptop w/32MB RAM. After some time you won't miss too many things.

IMO the whole X(free) system needs a healthy kick in the butt. It's one of the
main factors in keeping Linux away from the desktop, not just lacking in
performance and features, but also a royal PITA to configure with new
problems cropping up every five minutes.

I'm going to bed now. But perhaps this one will keep people away from the
"Quoting" and C popularity threads which are scrolling off to the right;
reading them is like coding python with a tabwidth of 8. (xinerama is another
thing in X that's FUBAR while we're at it, I literally *lost my mouse
pointer* while trying to set it up.)

--
Got Backup?