Re: /opt/kernel, depmod

Secondly, I'm having a *lot* of trouble getting my D-Link DWL-520
wirless NIC (Prism 2.5 chipset) to work under Debian.

.._sure_? D-Link DWL-520 is a nice pussycat with full support for the Prism 2.5, D-Link DWL-520+ sounds more like your carcassy experience.

Super sure -- I just cracked the box and looked on the chip itself. It's a DWL-520 Rev. A2.
..that _+_ is "ze big deal", it has TI's acx-100 chip, and _not_ the nice Prism. There _is_ hope: http://acx100.sourceforge.net/

Interestingly enough, when I went over to the D-Link web site again to super-duper double check the chipset, I looked again at their FAQs, and noticed that there appear to be unsupported Linux drivers. For the benefit of anyone reading the archives down the road, the links are:
http://support.dlink.com/Products/view.asp?productid=DWL-520 (D-Link's page)
ftp://ftp.linux-wlan.org/pub/linux-wlan-ng/ (The driver itself) Hopefully that'll solve that problem. Meanwhile, any thoughts/suggestions on where to learn about the contents of /opt/kernel?
Thanks Again,
Alex Kirk