Unfortunate Dummy.

The swap file is absolutely necessary.
This is the space on the disc where operating transactions take place.
Without a swap file, you don't have a system.
Straight Debian is a little bit difficult to start out with.
I would recommend beginning with a more 'accessible' system, perhaps
Libranet which is Debian based with all its' advantages.
That's the way I'm doing it.
Libranet has an Ncurses based cfdisc install that takes you by the hand
and leads you through installation procedure, giving recommendations for
partition types, sizes, and formats. It's taught me a lot in the past,
and continues to do so.
One day I'll be writing the code, just not today.
Life is not a race.
The journey is the goal.
Regards,

David.