Re: Suspicious Diald Attempts to nsmialogin.passport.com:443 Etc

On Monday 01 September 2003 00:02, Mark Hammer wrote:
> Every time I boot into linux, diald automatically dials up.  I
> tracked this down to the following series of connection attempts:
>
>   65.54.131.249:443
>         equivalent to https://msnialogin.passport.com
>
>   207.46.106.191:1863
>         name = baym-cs191.msgr.hotmail.com
>
>   4.65.209.127:1901
>   4.65.209.127:1975
>         name = lsanca1-ar22-4-65-209-127.lsanca1.dsl-verizon.net
>
>   207.68.171.238:80
>         equivalent to http://msimg.com

Are you on a network with a Windows box? If you have forwarding enabled and
the box uses a gateway to access the internet, it might be that the gateway
address is configured as the broadcast address (happens all the time where I
live, it's amazing what you see even on a switched network). This causes the
Windows machine's connection attempts to be visible by the whole network.

--
Got Backup?