Re: open office spell checking

On August 30, 2003 01:56 am, Jacob Anawalt wrote:

> >>Use koffice instead.  koffice is more stable and the next version the
> >>default file format changes to OpenOffice.
> >
> >I for myself won't be using KOffice untill it is able to save in MsWord
> >format, Excel format etc. Unfortunately I have friends, colleagues and
> >clients who do use M$ crap still ;).
> >
> >Pity nobody knows how to get the spellcheck in OO fixed, I am having the
> >same issue here...
> >
> >Pim
>
> I just installed OOo. Debian Unstable using dselect. KDE desktop -
> trying it out at a friends insistance. I didn't have OOo installed
> because a I hadn't needed more than a notepad on this system yet.  I
> only installed it now because the use X program instead response didn't
> seem like an answer to the question even if it did prompt some thought
> and comment on the idea.
>
> Heres what I installed:
> Reading Package Lists... Done
> Building Dependency Tree... Done
>   gcc-3.0-base kdebase libstdc++3 myspell-en-us oooqs-kde openoffice.org
>   openoffice.org-bin openoffice.org-crashrep openoffice.org-debian-files
>   openoffice.org-gnome openoffice.org-help-en openoffice.org-l10n-en
>   openoffice.org-mimelnk
> 0 packages upgraded, 13 newly installed, 0 to remove and 4 not upgraded.
> 2 packages not fully installed or removed.
> Need to get 71.6MB of archives.
> After unpacking 202MB of additional disk space will be used.
> Do you want to continue? [Y/n]
>
> After installing I fire up OOo and start typing. I type my last name. It
> gets underlined. I type compalning and it gets underlined. I right-click
> compalning and I have complaining in the drop down. I select it and the
> word is corrected. I undo and choose tools > spellcheck > check.
> compalning turns into complaining again.
>
> I think  either something wasn't installed right or at all (maybe
> myspell-en-us) or you're not using english and there is an issue with
> another language, or something is failing on the update/install so the
> spell check fails or you are seeing a different problem with the
> spelling checker.
>
> If it's some other use of the spelling checker, let me know and I'll try
> on my system.

Jacob thank you for posting the list of new packages to be installed.  I
installed OOo along time ago and have just been updating and upgrading since
then.  My problem was the package "myspell-en-us" was not installed - I guess
a dependancy got lost somewhere during upgrading. Everything is working fine
now:)

thanks again
R. Pluschke