Re: OT: Why is C so popular?

On Wed, 2003-08-27 at 06:34, Paul Johnson wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 27, 2003 at 03:59:27AM -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
> > 2 - C is The Language Of Unix, Unix is Great, We Use Unix, there-
> > fore We Write In C.  (The fact that for a long time, cc came as
> > part of Unix played a part in this.  Why spend Big Bucks for a
> > Fortran or COBOL compiler, when C is "free as in beer"?)
>
> Wouldn't it make more sense and sound cooler to say "free as in C" then?

Ummm, but "free as in beer" is the traditional, and understood,
way of saying "zero direct money spent".

> > 3 - "I learned C in college, and C lets me write in 1 long line
> > that which takes 3 easy-to-read lines in Fortran.  Thus, C is great,
> > and all other languages suck!". Fortunately, this attitude is also
> > diminishing.  Unfortunately, nowadays "s/C /Perl /".
>
> Wouldn't it be easier to read if you wrote it s/C/Perl/ ?

So that it wouldn't change Choo-choo to Perlhoo-choo.  I wasn't
just thinking of that one paragraph...

Ron Johnson, Jr. ron.l.johnson@cox.net
Jefferson, LA USA

"Basically, I got on the plane with a bomb. Basically, I tried
to ignite it. Basically, yeah, I intended to damage the plane."
RICHARD REID, tried to blow up American Airlines Flight 63