Re: Help Please!!

On Monday 25 August 2003 10:06 am, Kent West wrote:

> I'd recommend getting the mouse to work with gpm first, as it's simpler
> to diagnose. So, first "apt-get install gpm". As part of the install,
> that'll run "gpmconfig", and you'll need to specify the mouse location
> to be "/dev/psaux", the type to be "imps2", and the repeat type to be
> "raw" (assuming you keep gpm, so it'll repeat the raw data to the X
> mouse driver, which will also entail configuring X to look to
> "/dev/gpmdata" instead of "/dev/psaux").

Hello Kent,

I was just about to remove Debian. I have been trying to get this off the
shelf PS/2 wheel mouse working for five days. Your suggestion was a new
direction, so I made a completely new install and tried it. The answer was
still the same. The arrow sits in the middle of the screen immobile.

Frankly I find this astonishing, from all that I have heard about Debian.
Searching the internet I came across another fellow having the same problem
in an earlier Debian system. On another list that I read, someone else was
going through the same problem.

I'm not an expert by any means but I have installed a variety of linux systems
from Dragon Linux, early Slackware, Corel Linux, three versions of Red Hat
and then three versions of Mandrake, the latest, 9.2, is what I am using
here, and Suse 8.1. Never once, in all of these, have I had a mouse problem.
Had a printer problem in the early stuff until I went to a postscript
printer, but never the mouse.

It does leave me a bit perplexed.

Thank you  for your response and I will follow any further advice you might
have to see if I can get this mouse moving.

Bill.

William Bradley
Come visit us at:
http://www.catholicmissionleaflets.org