Re: Unicode: is it safe to use it ?

Alex Malinovich <demonbane@the-love-shack.net> writes:

On Wed, 2003-08-20 at 00:59, Xavier Maillard wrote:
>  --snip--
> >  Hmm, would you mind expanding on how you did set it globally ? I am
> >  quite interested even though it is not my main problem for
> >  instance.
>
>  Quite simple actually. 'dpkg-reconfigure locales'
>
>  Personally, I use en_US.UTF8, sr_YU.UTF8, sr_YU.UTF8@cyrillic.

Yep got it ;)

>  If you like strictly numeric time/date displays, that's all that's
>  needed. I prefer to have the date shown with full names of months, so
>  I have LC_TIME set to 'C' in my .bashrc.

That's fine.

> > >  problems I have are when using a plain (i.e. not xterm) console,
> > >  some characters don't display correctly. But for communication
> > >  with others, I've never had a problem.
> >
> >  That's ok for me. But are M$ MUA and others (i.e. Eudora and things
> >  like that) ready to deal with Unicode yet ? Actually I don't really
> >  want not to be understand by a M$ user (I have dozen friends of
> >  mine under the dark side of the Force ;)).
>
>  I'm pretty sure that most MUA's, M$ and otherwise, already have full
>  Unicode support. Any MUA that's used anywhere outside of the US would
>  pretty much HAVE to have it in order to be used seriously. On the off
>  chance that they don't, however, you don't really have to worry about
>  it. All regular ASCII characters (i.e. all characters in the English
>  alphabet) will still show up fine.

What happen if I type accentuated characters though ? Is it possible to
mix japanese with english and some french in one message ? How is it
handled then ?

In fact I am learning japanese and I have a few friends which I would
be interested in exchanging words in several language at the same time
but dunno if it is well supported by their MUA :)

zeDek
--
"Can we get into a much more productive `my OS needs less work to *SET
 UP* (not install) than yours' war instead? How about a `my os takes