Re: Backporting debhelper

Rob Weir wrote:
On Thu, Aug 14, 2003 at 04:26:29PM +0200, Ismael Valladolid Torres wrote:

Mensaje escrito por Bob Proulx el 14/08/2003 1:54:

For my own backports I have been changing the debhelper version
dependency in the debian/control file to specify the woody version.  I
have not backported debhelper.  This process has worked pretty well so
far.

This will (obviously) break when packages actually use features that
were introduced with debhelper 4.  "dh_shlibs -s" is a notable example
of this, that hits a fair number of packages.

Wouldn't it be a bug in the package if it build-depended on debhelper 4, but didn't actually use any features not available in debhelper 3[in which case it should build-depend on debhelper 3]?[and I have debhelper 4.1.52 and dh_shlibs isn't on my system...]