Re: wireless recommendations

* nori heikkinen (nori@sccs.swarthmore.edu) [030815 07:52]:
> hey all,
>
> my roommate (who has a laptop) and i are thinking about either running
> cables all the way around our apartment, or setting up a wireless
> point from my debian box.  i'd enjoy doing the latter, but before i
> buy the hardware, i thought i'd check with my most valuable
> information source about what debianites are happy with in terms of
> brands, models, &c.
>
> any particular suggestions / references / aversions?

Stay away from 3com.  Generally, I've had good experiences with their
NICs, but both wireless products I've used from them ( a homeconnect AP
and pcmcia card) went nuts.  I think it was bad firmware -- bad to the
point that it couldn't be recovered.  I spent way too many hours trying
to get those to work!

For the laptop, I'm happy with my linksys wpc11.  You might also
consider cisco aironet cards.  They're more expensive, but I have
colleagues who swear by them.  As for the linksys, I like it enough I
just bought another one (to replace that #@$&^$%#%^$# 3com)