USB 2.0 storage problems

Originally tried this at the linux-usb list, but didn't get anything.
Maybe other Deb users have hit this problem?

Having some issues with a USB 2 drive enclosure here. The USB controller
is the Via built into the Asus A7V333. I can mount the drive fine, and
(at one point - see below) I copied files to it, but copying files from
the USB drive back to the main drive errors out with:

hub.c: new USB device 00:09.2-1, assigned address 3
kernel: WARNING: USB Mass Storage data integrity not assured
kernel: USB Mass Storage device found at 3
kernel: EXT2-fs warning: mounting unchecked fs, running e2fsck is
recommended
kernel: hub.c: USB device not accepting new address (error=-71)
kernel: usb.c: USB disconnect on device 00:09.2-1 address 3
kernel: hub.c: new USB device 00:09.2-1, assigned address 4
kernel: WARNING: USB Mass Storage data integrity not assured
kernel: USB Mass Storage device found at 4
kernel: usb-storage: host_reset() requested but not implemented
kernel: scsi: device set offline - command error recover failed: host 2
channel 0 id 0 lun 0
kernel: SCSI disk error : host 2 channel 0 id 0 lun 0 return code =
6070000
kernel:  I/O error: dev 08:11, sector 19616688
kernel:  I/O error: dev 08:11, sector 19616696
(Lots of I/O errors follow)...

I was originally running Debian's 2.4.21.  In that case, the drive would
work properly after a fresh reboot.  But unplugging and reattaching the
drive would create the above errors on attempts to copy.  Is this
related to the problem with the addressing in the error message?  After
that, the drive can be unmounted cleanly, but afterwards is inaccessible
to either mount or fdisk.  Some recent messages on LKML sounded very
similar to this. But they claimed the problem was only in a .22-pre
patch and that vanilla 2.4.21 worked fine, which isn't the case here. If
anything, the vanilla kernel is worse than the Debian one - I can
mount the filesystem, but any attempt to copy always yield errors. I
have not used hotplug - does that have any relevance here?  I have tried
both modular and monolithic versions of the relevant drivers.  If
there's any other information I can provide, let me know.

Thanks,
Todd