Re: nforce kernel modules

On Tue, Aug 12, 2003 at 04:35:24AM +0200, Roberto Sanchez wrote:
>  --- "Jamin W. Collins" <jcollins@asgardsrealm.net> escribi?:
> > On Tue, Aug 12, 2003 at 01:54:32AM +0200, Roberto Sanchez wrote:
> >
> > Chances are you don't have the alsa-utils package installed.  It
> > provides alsactl which will automatically store and restore your mixer
> > settings if available (part of the alsa init script).
> >

> That's not it, I have alsa-base and alsa-utils installed.

That's very odd, the init script should store your settings in the
following section:

            if [ "$alsactl_store_on_shutdown" = "true" ]; then
                printf "Storing ALSA mixer settings ... "
                if alsactl store > /dev/null 2>&1; then
                    sleep 1
                    echo "done."
                else
                    echo "failed"
                fi
            fi

The control variable $alsactl_store_on_shutdown is set to true at the
beginning of the script and then read from /etc/defaults/alsa.  You
might check to see if it's set to something other than 'true' in
/etc/defaults/alsa.  Beyond that, you could execute the init script via
"sh -x" so all commands are echo'd as they are executed.  This might
give an idea of why alsactl isn't storing the settings.

> > > I also get this message on boot (with a 2.6.0-test2 kernel):
> > >
> > > Starting ALSA (version 0.9.4): intel8x0-failed failed
> > >
> > > I also get a similar error on my laptop (with the Yamaha).
> > >
> > > Should I worry?  I hear sound with no problem.
> >
> > If you still get them after having alsa-utils installed, or if you
> > already have it install let us know.
>
> See above.

Do you by chance have two alsa config files in /etc/modutils?

> But why does this only occur on one machine?  Both run 2.6.0-test2 on
> Sid. Is it differences in the driver?

Some sound cards have multiple dsp output devices, the yamaha chip in
the laptop just might.  An strace of audacity's startup might give some
information.  Other than that I really don't know.

--
Jamin W. Collins