Re: more install problems

Richard Lyons wrote:
Hello again.

I have found the configurator that I needed, in theory. It is modconf. But I cannot install i82368, the errors include 'No such device' and 'depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/.../8139too.o'

So the compilation was not successful apparently.

Perhaps I should reinitialize the root partition and re-install, using the 2.4.18-686 kernel -- there is a way to select the kernel during the install, isn't there?

I wouldn't bother doing that. If you're in doubt, install the kernel-image-2.4.18-686 and kernel-pcmcia-modules-2.4.18-686 packages over again with dpkg -i That's all that the reinstall would do anyway.

Do you have the "hotplug"

When you install the kernel-image-2.4.18-686 package, it would have asked you if you wanted to install a boot block for it with LILO (you do). You would then need to reboot to run the new kernel.

If you are running the right kernel, "uname -r" should display 2.4.18-686 (not 2.4.18-bf2.4)

I don't know where i82368 comes from. There is a module i82365, which is possibly your PCMCIA bridge.

If you think your modules are out of sync, run "depmod -a" to update the dependency information. This should not normally be needed, as the kernel package postinst should do it. If it produces any errors, they're probably important: post them.

"modinfo 8139too" will tell you where it's getting the module from.

I'd like to see your "lspci" output. I think your card ought to show up there, but I'm not sure. My laptop's pcmcia network card doesn't, but it's not a cardbus card, and I think that makes a difference. Your cardctl output showed a PCI device ID (unlike mine), and that device ID is one that is tested for by the stock 8139too driver. Interestingly, the device ID is 8139, which the driver considers an ordinary PCI card, not 8138, which is described as being the cardbus version. But the driver doesn't do anything different based on the different IDs, so by my way of thinking it ought to work.

Andrew