Re: Linux firewall vs Windows and Hardware based firewalls

On 3 Aug 2003, Ron Johnson wrote:

> On Sun, 2003-08-03 at 01:50, Alvin Oga wrote:

> > f) if you allow vpn from home and wireless access to internal servers
> >    than you've got some serious "network security policy and enforcement"
> >    problems
>
> Not as much as you might think.

i'd be worried about the home fw, home router, esp if its linux ( x86
based ) ...  and less worried about the windoze boxes behind the fw
	-- all traffic goes out/in thru the home users fw and/or gw ...
	and that's the box i'd worry about as it'd be the first point
	of attack to the home lan  or its dns servers

	- lots of ways to get into the corp lan from the relatively
	less secure "home" network

	- but the corp security folks' home lan is probably
	tighter than the corp lan they maintain to keep the
	ceo/cfo/foo-managers happy and off the admin's back by
	opening a hole here and bigger hole there because
	the managers can't do their jobs due to security restraints

	- and who's the one losing the laptops when on the road ??

	i worked at a place where 10% - 20% of the laptops were
	either stolen or "dropped and thrown away" and they want
	a new laptop  .. that company went "poof" in a cloud of blue
	smoke

c ya
alvin