Re: Permissions denied when enabling DMA

Hi

> The kernel you're using doesn't have support for your IDE chipset.  This
> is why the kernel didn't enable DMA on its own.
How would you recomend that I get support? apt-get *new-kernel*, or apt-get
source? Are there maybe modules that I should be looking for?

> Using hdparm to force DMA is a bad, bad, BAD idea.  The kernel usually has
> very good reasons for not enabling it.
Do you mean that I shouldn't use hdparm at all? I have a laptop that is set by
default with DMA and 32bit mode set off, is it also BAD to enable these on
the laptop because I am able to. How do I make this a default on boot?

Regards
Wayne