Re: Look at these update from M$ Corporation.

On Sat, 02 Aug 2003, Alan Connor wrote:

> What a lot of people don't understand, is that CR programs protect THEM.
> With a regular spamblocking program, anyone can use YOUR address and cause
> How wwould you like it if someone sent kiddie porn to a thousand people and
> used your address in the From, From: Reply-To: and Return-Path: headers ???
>
> This happens, with a thousand variations, ALL the time.
>
> With a CR system, a person wouldn't even see the mail, and when YOU received
> the CR  you would know something was wrong and contact the person who sent
> the CR to you. If they are like me, they save the headers of mail that doesn't
> come from anyone on their passlist, and you could then have a copy of them
> for your records. You could then contact the ISPs on the headers and get their
> abuse hounds on the track, and leave a public record that proves your innocence.
>
> If no one was using a CR program on that list, you might never know something
> was wrong until the cops showed up with a search warrant and the local media
> in tow. That sort of thing can wreck your marriage and your career, even if
> you eventually prove your innocence...

First, I want to sing a chorus of "this is the thread that never ends".

:-)

Now, as far as I can tell, if you are a victim of a "Joe Job", since the
headers are forged, you tend to get a lot of bounce backs to you, as
well as irate replies threatening life and limb.  All without C-R.

As for my innocence, I maintain a policy of signing all outgoing email,
and all of my outgoing email tends to go through one specific server.
Their records, combined with my records and lack of pgp signatures
should hopefully indicate my innocence.

Of course, either way, once your fingered as a kiddie porn distributer,
I'm assuming that your reputation is ruined.  Its the Western's world
equivalent of leprosy.  "Innocent until proven guilty" is a legal
concept, not a cultural concept, which is a very scary thing in this day
and age of media and the internet.

~ Jesse Meyer

--
         icq: 34583382 / msn: dasunt@hotmail.com / yim: tsunad

   "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we
    pretend to be." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr : Mother Night