Re: Hawking Fast Ethernet Cardbus 10/100 Woody ?

On Sat, 02 Aug 2003, cls-du@truffula.sj.ca.us wrote:

> I've got a Cardbus 10/100 NIC from Hawking.
>
> # cardctl ident
> Socket 0:
>   product info: "3Com", "Megahertz 3CCFEM556", "LAN + 56k Modem", ""
>   manfid: 0x0101, 0x0556
>   function: 0 (multifunction)
> Socket 1:
>   product info: "CardBus", "Fast Ethernet", "V1.0", ""
>   manfid: 0x13d1, 0xab02
>   function: 6 (network)
>
> I'm having trouble finding the right documentation on how to
> get this going.  Don't know which chip set is in the card.
> Don't know where the manufacturer and product IDs are defined
> for Card Services.  Seems to be a very popular product, perhaps
> under another name.  Google doesn't help because Hawking
> doesn't have any model identification on the thing.
> In fact, the markings on it are contradictory: it says
> "CardBus 10/100 Fast Ethernet PC Card" on the front
> and "Fast Ethernet CardBus 10/100" on the back.

You might have the same card I do:

pong:~# cardctl ident
Socket 0:
  no product info available
Socket 1:
  product info: "CardBus", "Fast Ethernet", "V1.0", ""
  manfid: 0x13d1, 0xab02
  function: 6 (network)
  PCI id: 0x17b3, 0xab08

Physically, the card has an integrated dongle, sticks out about 1"
on the side, a black plastic in cover.  On the top, it says
"HAWKING" in blue letters (the H and G are slightly larger then the
rest), with "TECHNOLOGY" in smaller orange letters underneath.  To the
left of both those words is an orange outline of a hawk's head.

Holding the card so that we can the word "Hawking", on the left side
of the dongle are three very flat rectangular lights - from top to
bottom, they are labeled "Power", "Wake", and "Full".  On the right side
of the card are three similiar lights, labeled "10", "100", and "ACT".

The front of the card has a white label, with a strange looking image,
and the following centered words underneath:  "CardBus 10/100 [newline]
Fast Ethernet PC Card" and below that the same "HAWKING" logo that is
on the black plastic part.  The back of the card also has a white lable
with the words "Fast Ethernet [Newline] CardBus 10/100 (where "10/100"
is white text in a black square), then a black line, and the text
"This device complies with Part 15 of the FCC Rules..."

Finally, the back of the card has the FCC ID of "MQ4C2K5MX", followed by
what looks to be the MAC address and a serial number.  At the bottom is
a few cryptic logos and the words "Made in Taiwan".

If this seems to be your card, then under the 2.4 debian kernel, I have
got the card to work, but only using the 2.4 boot floppy kernel and the
package pcmcia-modules-2.4.18-bf2.4.  The driver seems to be 'tulip_cb',
the regular 'tulip' driver in the kernel does not seem to work.

If this is your card, and you need any more help, just reply to
debian-user.

~ Jesse Meyer

--
         icq: 34583382 / msn: dasunt@hotmail.com / yim: tsunad

   "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we
    pretend to be." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr : Mother Night