Apache character encoding problems

Hello.

I'm trying to migrate one web server to one Debian box, and almost
everything works... Except for one little problem.

This server hosts sites in different languages, and it seems that only
the ISO-8859-1 languages are being shown correctly (Spahish, English,
Portuguese, Italian, etc). All others show garbage (Chinese, Bulgarian,
Greek, etc).

The server is hosted at a company that offers user-mode Linux, and we
have chosen Woody for that box. The Apache server is the one in woody
(1.3.26-0woody3).

I spent the last two days searching and reading documentation, but
didn't find anything (tried Google and the Debian BTS). Did anyone else
experience such a problem before?
Is it our Apache configuration or could it be something else? (We're
migrating from Red Had to Debian)

The same problem occurred when I tried switching to the unnofficial debs
from http://people.debian.org/~nobse/debian/woody/backported/apache2/

Apache packages installed:
apache
apache-common