/bin/bash: cvs: command not found

I'm trying to do a cvs checkout from a remote machine running

  SSH Version 1.2.25 [i686-unknown-linux], protocol version 1.5.

Say the user is "foo", and they have cvs installed locally:

   >which cvs
  /home/foo/local/bin/cvs

  $ cvs -d:ext:foo@foo.machine:/home/foo/local/cvsroot co something
  /bin/bash: cvs: command not found

Now I assume that's becuase /home/foo/local/bin/cvs is not in the path.
I tried setting path in .bash_profile (and .bashrc) on the remote
machine but they don't seem to be read on a ssh connection.

How do I get foo's PATH updated on the remote machine?

I'm sure I've checked out from that machine before (but that local copy
is on a drive that's not working so I can't check the CVS Root).

Thanks,

--
Bill Moseley
moseley@hank.org