Re: How do I log onto anonymous ftp ?

David selby <debian@pusspaws.net> writes:

> I have logged onto ftps before, but never an anonymous one. I need to
> log into ftp://archive.progeny.com/

> I don't think the error is "real" I can loggin mozilla no probs. Is my
> "anonymous" user ID correct ? do I need a password ?

I don't use ncftp.  Canonically, though, you can use anonymous FTP
with a username of 'anonymous' (or sometimes 'ftp') and your e-mail
address (really, any string) as a password.  I'd expect that ncftp's
defaults would do this (using user@hostname as a password) in the
absence of an explicit username.

> web@debian:~$ ncftp -u anonymous  ftp://www.progeny.com
> NcFTP 3.1.3 (Mar 27, 2002) by Mike Gleason (ncftp@ncftp.com).
> Could not connect to 216.37.46.132 -- try again later: Connection
> timed out.           Could not connect to 216.37.46.132 -- try again
> later: Connection timed out.           Could not connect to
> 216.37.46.132 -- try again later: Connection timed out.
> Could not connect to 216.37.46.132 -- try again later: Connection
> timed out.           Redialing (try 4)...
> web@debian:~$

To me, that looks like a legitimate problem with the connection, but
it's more likely that Progeny is running their FTP and Web servers on
separate machines, and you should have typed "archive.progeny.com" on
the command line.

	-- Abra Mitchell