Re: extra apt sources, backports etc.

On Wed, Jul 30, 2003 at 09:12:52PM -0400, Bret Comstock Waldow wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-07-30 at 15:29, A. Loonstra wrote:
>
> > My question remains what's the best way to manage unofficial backports
> > without having much trouble. I how do others do this?
>
> Cautiously, with a restorable backup.  I hold some packages too ("=" in
> aptitude).
>
> If there's a better way, I'm interested too.  Another approach possibly
> is to just run Testing or Sid all the time if one wants to keep up.

I'm pretty paranoid, so what I do is as follows:
All unofficial entries in my sources.list are commented out.

When I want to install a backport I uncomment (or add) the line for
the source of that backport, then do an apt-get update and apt-get
install. I do *not* use aptitude for this because it has a tendency to
go "oh look, new versions!" and wants to upgrade all kinds of stuff.

Then when my apt-get install is done I go back to my sources.list,
comment out the line in question, and do another apt-get update.

Then, when I run aptitude, all my unofficial stuff shows up under
"obsolete or local packages".

Now, there may very well be a smart way to do this with priorities or
somesuch... so you could tell apt(itude) "only install a package from
this source if it does not exist (any version) in the official
sources", but if so I don't know about it.

	HTH