Re: Using dd to copy a disk.

On Mon, 2003-07-28 at 18:55, Alan Connor wrote:
> > From ron.l.johnson@cox.net Mon Jul 28 16:24:31 2003
> >

> > On Mon, 2003-07-28 at 17:22, Alan Connor wrote:
> > /var, /etc and /usr/bin, things can get sticky regarding symlinks.
> >
> > If there's a little shell script that can handle multiple symlink
> > redirection, I'm not smart enough to think of it...
> >

> Well. I'd start by using find to list all the symlinks that pointed to
> another device
--snip--

Maybe I'm missing something here, but why would it matter? i.e. If a
symlink points to /usr/bin/gcc-3.2, and you copy it somewhere else,
it'll still point to /usr/bin/gcc-3.2 and if it points to just gcc-3.2
it'll continue to point to gcc-3.2 in the current directory, wherever
that happens to be. So unless you're copying / to /backup or some other
silly thing, this should be ok, right? Or am I missing some of the finer
points of multiple mounts throughout the filesystem?

--
Alex Malinovich
pgp.net keyservers. Key ID: A6D24837