Re: installation and set up

Hello.

> My Vectra runs on Pentium 100MHz, has 40MB of RAM, two 500 MB drives, a S3
> ViRGE 3D/DX video card and a Creative Technology sound card . The C drive

> Now, some more questions.
> 1) Using df, I find that my / has 60MB (25MB cited on previous msg was
> wrong), /usr has 300MB left. These are the only two partitions I created
> besides swap, which I assigned 35mB. I want to install a GUI, a browser and
> Openoffice. Would there be enough space? Any recommendation for GUI and
> browser?

I wouldn't say that you will be able to use Openoffice at that computer
even if it fits into hard drive space. I have here dual P4 with 1Gb of
RAM and openoffice is kinda slow for my taste.

For GUI: do not install any "graphical environments" like KDE or Gnome.
Just use some lightweight window manager, like icewm/blackbox, for example.

> There's another error logged as "Intel Pentium with F0 0F bug - workaround
> enabled."
>
> What's the problem? Hope to hear from you folks.

It's a well-known bug in Pentium processor. Don't panic -- Linux has
workaround for this so you'll have no problems with it.

--
Alexey

"Python is executable pseudocode, Perl is executable line-noise."