Re: but I don't want the Russian etc. documentation

On Sun, 2003-07-06 at 01:00, Dan Jacobson wrote:
> As a faithful Debian user, I must keep abreast of all latest advances.
> # apt-get --print-uris -y dist-upgrade|awk 'NF==4{print $3,$2}'|grep apt-|sort -rn
> 300030 apt-howto-ru_1.8.5-2_all.deb
> 258682 apt-howto-pl_1.8.5-2_all.deb
> 257092 apt-howto-de_1.8.5-2_all.deb
> 249416 apt-howto-fr_1.8.5-2_all.deb
> 241272 apt-howto-tr_1.8.5-2_all.deb
> 241004 apt-howto-it_1.8.5-2_all.deb
> 240942 apt-howto-es_1.8.5-2_all.deb
> 240754 apt-howto-pt-br_1.8.5-2_all.deb
> 231474 apt-howto-en_1.8.5-2_all.deb
> 147154 apt-utils_0.5.5.1_i386.deb
> 75844 libapt-pkg-perl_0.1.9_i386.deb
> 55972 apt-howto-ko_1.8.5-2_all.deb
> 38884 apt-listchanges_2.35_all.deb
> 15054 apt-show-source_0.08_all.deb
> 13076 apt-howto_1.8.5-2_all.deb
> 10996 apt-file_2.0.3-2_all.deb
>
> Hmmm, as my home isn't as international as the average Debian user, if
> I were to cut down on modem time,
>
> # apt-get -s remove --purge  apt-howto-ru
> Reading Package Lists... Done
> Building Dependency Tree... Done
> The following packages will be REMOVED:
>   apt-howto* apt-howto-ru*
> 0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 2 to remove and 825  not upgraded.
> Purg apt-howto (1.8.5-2 Debian:unstable)
> Purg apt-howto-ru (1.8.5-2 Debian:unstable)
>
> I would also toss apt-howto itself to the winds. Has this been fixed yet?
>
> I see, I just install only the _en, and remove the general package?
> Is that how it works for all such doc packages?

from "apt-cache show apt-howto":

 This package depends on all translations of the manual.
 Its purpose is to provide a smooth upgrade for those
 who had apt-howto installed before the package was split.
 It may then be removed.

So I presume you want just apt-howto-en, not every translation - thus
apt-howto must go also, because it depends on every translation.

Regards,
 Shaun